Grand Re-opening Post COVID
As we emerge from the COVID-19 crisis we will have to undertake new protocols for our patients and staff to protect from further spread. The following elements were derived from a group project among Optometrists from all over the country including Dr. Andrich, Dr. Cerny and Patti Andrich to implement upon our return to our active practice.
- Use hand sanitizer
- The door handles need to be routinely disinfected
- Wipe/sanitize counter surfaces
- Wipe/sanitize chairs
- Disinfect all equipment prior to and after the use of each piece of equipment
- Remove all unnecessary products and brochures from the desktops
- Use gloves as needed
- Keep a bottle of hand sanitizer in each room and maintain good hand hygiene – use hand sanitizer as needed.
- There will also be tabletop sanitizers and paper towels in each room
- Remove unnecessary products and brochures from desktop
- Maintain a supply of gloves
- Immediately dispose of any tissues, dye strips, disposable swabs, contact lens cases etc.
- Between each patient: wipe chair, equipment surfaces with surface cleaner.
- Only the front bathroom is to be used by patients.
- Only the Celebration Staff Room is to be used by staff.
- All toilets: There will be signs place above the toilet and sink to wash hands
- Have disinfectant available in bathrooms.
- 2 x per day – a staff member will disinfect all bathrooms – we will set up assignments for this.
- Keep a bottle of hand sanitizer near all workstations – maintain good hand hygiene
- Frequently wipe off individual pieces of equipment with disinfecting wipes
- Wipe arm supports on chairs
- Wipe phones, desk drawers, stapler, scissors, light switches, printer, keyboards, etc.
- Each staff should use their own pen, highlighter, sharpie
- Each staff should carry some hand sanitizer in their pockets
- Have signs reminding staff to wash hands
- No shared condiments
- Wipe tables, chairs, armrests, doorknobs, pulls, microwave oven buttons, refrigerator door handle, remote controls
Vision Therapy area
- Upon entering, patient is to be immediately directed to wash/sanitize hands
- Wipe down all touch screens, TV’s, VR, gaming devices at the beginning of the day and between uses
- Equipment used (flippers, balls, wands, patches, blocks, or other equipment used) must be wiped down after each patient
- Drawing/writing tools: markers, pencils, pens must be sanitized after each patient
- All patients will maintain social distancing as much as possible
PPE (Personal Protective Equipment)
- Gloves: Gloves will be available for all staff if needed.
- Plexiglass shield: These have been ordered for the front desk, and vision therapy desks to protect the staff from any sneezes or spray from the patient. Slit-lamp shields have been installed as well to prevent spray, sneezes from the patient
- HEPA air purifiers have been ordered and will be placed in the office.
- No-touch thermometers will be at the front desks and may be used to check individuals upon arrival.
- Each patient will be given a pen to keep for filling out any paperwork and to take notes if they desire during their exam and to sign their credit card slip.
An Expectations Checklist—For All of Us
Health Protection Protocol
On our website - all patients can download and fill out forms and sign all necessary documents.
We will also list on our website our COVID-19 Health Protection Protocol. This will also be delivered via Weave when notifying patients and on our voice mail. In addition, we will list this on our Facebook page.
All patients will be asked the following questions - this may be done as extra Symptoms Questionnaire when they enter the building.
- Have you had a fever, cough, or trouble breathing in the past 2 weeks?
- Have you had cold and/or flu symptoms such as sneezing, runny nose, sore throat, body aches, in the past 2 weeks?
- Have you had a body rash with fever in the past 2 weeks?
- Have you had traveled outside the country in the past 2 weeks?
- Were you tested positive for COVID 19, in the past 2 weeks?
- Have you been in contact with a person who contracted COVID 19, in the past 2 weeks?
Only the patient will be admitted into the office unless they are a minor or need assistance. In that case they can have one parent/guardian/spouse/caretaker accompany them into the office.
Patients have the option to wear or not to wear a mask, if they do not have symptoms, and if they have passed the Symptoms Questionnaire.
Anyone entering may have their temperature taken.
Late patients will be re-scheduled - we need to stress this to our patients.
We will review our disinfection process with the patient if they would like to know.
Chairs in reception area have been spaced apart to allow for social distancing.
Sneeze and cough shields will be provided for the therapy rooms and for the front desk. These items have been ordered and will be utilized once they are delivered to the office.
- All must be done via phone or WEAVE text
- Must ask:
- Have you had a fever, cough, or trouble breathing in the past 2 weeks? Yes/No
- Have you had a cold and/or flu symptoms such as sneezing, runny nose, sore throat, body aches, in the past 2 weeks? Yes/No
- Have you had a body rash with fever in past 2 weeks? Yes/ No
- Have you had traveled outside your hometown or outside the country, in the past 2 weeks? Yes/No (where)
- Were you tested positive for COVID 19, in the past 2 weeks? Yes/No
- Have you been in contact with a person who contracted COVID 19, in the past 2 weeks? Yes/No
- Wash hands upon arrival to work
- Employees must sign Daily Symptom Assessment Form: temperature taken when entering & answer basic health questions.
- Confine your personal items to lockers
- Be aware of others in smaller areas
- Employees must stay home if symptomatic (Sore throat, cough, shortness of breath, fever > 100
deg, loss of taste and/or smell)
- All staff will wear masks for all patient contact (until otherwise notified), gloves are optional depending on the case - we will provide masks for staff or the staff may provide their own (cloth or special design)
- All staff should consider carrying an individual bottle of hand sanitizer in their pocket
- Maintain space in workstations
- Regular hand washing is required
- Protect your immunity: Get plenty of rest, maintain a healthy diet, reduce sugar intake, manage your stress. Consider GX testing and BrainTap.
- Attire: work attire MUST BE FRESHLY LAUNDERED DAILY.
- Grooming: Please refrain from wearing artificial fingernails to limit bacterial congregation, consider removing rings, and tie hair back to minimize hand to face contact.
- End of Day: sanitize personally used office items
- Wash and disinfect hands upon leaving the office
The above Health Protection Protocol will be reviewed and updated based on guidelines from the Ohio Department of Health and the Ohio Optometric Association.